Bible Worldviews (12) (ELCA)
- Moral Absolutes – the belief that an absolute ethical standards exists for all individuals regardless of era or culture.
Christian morality is founded on the conviction that an absolute moral order exists outside of, and yet inseribed into our very being.
For the Christian, Go is the ultimate source of morality, not society!!
The moral light is what the Apostle John refers to having been lit in the hearts of all men and women – "The True Life that gives light to every man."(John 1:9)
It is what the Apostle Paul calls "the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience"(Romans 2:15)
Christians get their moral code from the Bible, but most importantly from the person of Jesus Christ The call to follow Jesus is the simplest summation of Christian ethics, and at the same time the most difficult thing for us to do.
The Problem with SinEdit
"When a person makes up his own ethical code, he always makes up an ethical system which he thinks he has kept. In the law of God, we find a law which smashes our self-righteousness, eliminates all trust in our own goodness, and convinces us that we are sinners. The law of God leaves us with our hands over our mouths and our faces in the dust. We are humbled before God and convinced that we are guilty transgressors of His law."
–Dr. James Kennedy
- "Love must be sincerer. Hate what is evil, cling to what is good." (Romans 12:9)
- "Wages of sin is death" (Romans 6:23)
- "Flee sexual immorality" (I Corinthians 6:18)
- "Flee from idolatry" (I Corinthians 10:14)
- "Flee youthful passions and pursue righteousness" (II Timothy 2:22)
"There is no division of ethics and law in Islam."Muhammad is the exemplar for all Muslims
–S. Parvez Manzoor
Only through Jihad can one be guaranteed paradise.
- Drinking Wine (Alcoholic Beverages)
- Eating Pork
- May not eat meat that has not been property slaughtered.
- Sexual Immorality
(Very Similar to Levitical Law)
Muslims believe that their deeds will be set on a celestial scale to weight all their deeds.
Then those whose balance (of good deeds) is heavy,- they will attain salvation: But those whose balance is light, will be those who have lost their souls, in Hell will they abide.Fear of an eternity in hell is the strongest motivation of all.
–Sura 23: 102-103
Secular Humanistic EthicsEdit
“The traditional super naturalistic moral commandments are especially repressive for our human needs. They are immoral insofar as they foster illusions about human destiny [heaven] and suppress vital inclinations.” – Paul Kurtz (Humanist Manifesto II)
- Moral Relativism – the belief that morals are relative to the individual and situation
Without a god who sets forth an absolute moral code, humanist must believe either the code is subjective or should be applied differently to changing situations.
Cosmic Humanist EthicsEdit
- Karma – the total effect of a person's actions and conduct during each phase of existence, determining the person's destiny.
- Tolerance is the Key – Cosmic Humanist must tolerate all other views of morality because ethics is relative to the truth within each of us.
"Christ is the same as Lucifer... Lucifer prepares man for the experience of Christ-hood... Lucifer works within each of us to bring us to the wholeness as we move into the New Age."
– David Springler
- Proletariat Morality – the ethical belief that whatever advances the proletariat and the caus of communism is morally good and whatever hinders the proletariat or Communism morally evil.
- Utilitarianism – an ethical framework that positive that wall action should be directed towards achieved the greatest utility for the greatest number of people.
The next social advance in history will be the move from capitalism to socialism which will inevitably result in society's moral ideas.
Post Modern EthicsEdit
- Cultural Relativism – the belief that truth and morals are relative to one's culture.
Since there is no "grand narrative", each community comes up with its own "little narrative"
"No adult can know what is best for another adult; and, by the same token, no group or society can know what is best for another group or society."
– Adam Phillips
|ELCA SENIOR CLASSES||Main Page||A.P. English • A.P. Biology • A.P. Calculus • A.P. Chemistry • A.P. Government • A.P. Spanish||Honors English • Honors Physics • Honors Spanish III||Algebra III • Anatomy • English 12 • Bible Worldviews • Political Science|
|BIBLE CLASSES||Main Page||Worldviews • Sermon on the Mount • Bible Doctrines • Early Judea-Christian History|